Mavis is now nine months old! She’s closing in on a year so fast that I almost want time to slow down. I’m also excited to see her become a dog, you know?
- Mavis graduated Adult Level II training classes with flying colors! She is now phased out of training at Petco because they don’t have any classes higher than Adult II, haha.
- She took her Canine Good Citizen Test and missed the mark on just one behavior, which was having a stranger touch her paws. This is important for therapy work (because people will be touching her if she’s a therapy dog!), so we are working really hard on paw touching before we re-take the CGC test.
- She’s going to be a big sister!
- She loves playing fetch with a ball, but if it rolls underneath something, you would think the world was ending. She whines, cries, scratches, and barks until she gets that ball back.
- When it’s cold out, she goes #2 on our back porch. Yuck.
- She still jumps on the couch from time to time (when Malcolm taunts her… he is a bad influence on her, ha!).
- I recently had to run into Walmart while Jimmy and I had Mavis in the car with us, so I left her in the car with Jimmy and he said her little body shook the entire time I was in the store because she missed me. Poor gal. I missed her just as much!
Mavis loves cuddling with her big sister! Also, they really love their raised bed.
- I can’t wait for it to warm up in Pittsburgh so we can do more training outside!
- Mavis still hasn’t gone into heat. I think it’s normal for the first heat cycle to begin any time from six months to a year, so I expect it to happen soon.
- Her growth seems to have slowed down.
- She is still doing great with not being in a crate and not chewing things.
- She still gets along wonderfully with basically any dog she meets. She wants to play, play, play all the time.
- Sometimes I just look at her and just kiss her little face. She’s so cute and truly brings me so much joy!
Practicing the “leave it” command by waiting patiently before being allowed to figure out her puzzles!
There you have it, that’s Mavis at nine months! Our puppy is turning into a dog before our eyes! We love the dog she’s becoming and can’t wait to see her be a big sister in the fall!
Okay, how is Mavis already eight months old?! She’s growing up so fast! I brought her home at eight weeks old, and she was so tiny. Now she’s almost fully grown!
- Mavis graduated Adult Level I training classes in January and moved on to Adult Level II! She is doing wonderful in her Adult II classes and continues to impress me with how fast she can learn. She now knows how to do “paw” and we are hoping to teach her other fun tricks along with her basic commands.
- She has been practicing her training in different places like the library, bank, and stores to really keep her focus on meeting and interacting with people in hopes of working towards becoming a therapy dog.
- Mavis no longer uses her crate except to sleep in it at night with the door open. We now put her and Lola in our spare bedroom when we leave the house and we haven’t had any chewing or bathroom accidents. We watch and talk to them on the Petzi Cam and it’s adorable!
- She has been trying to counter surf! This is kind of funny because she’s so little, but man can she jump. She has swiped a few things off of our counters, so we really have to watch her.
- She’s still in that “teenage” phase of puppyhood and can just be really challenging sometimes! I have to remind myself that she’s still learning and growing.
- I was recently walking two other dogs with Mavis and her leash slipped out of my hand. She ran straight to one of my other clients’ doors, LOL. It gave me a heart attack, but it was also adorable the she remembered where her friend lives! Note to self: work on recall more.
Mavis ran from me to try and see her golden retriever friend!
- She still hasn’t gone into heat yet, but I’m guessing she will before her first birthday.
- Now that she’s out of her crate at night, she tries to sleep on the bed with us. It’s cute, but she’s not allowed!
- She’s very social. She likes being with people and dogs. She plays really hard with all of my pet sitting clients and then crashes when we get home.
- She enjoys playing in the snow and tries to eat it.
- She loves riding in the car. She gets all excited when she knows we’re going somewhere.
I think that’s everything for Mavis’ eight month update! She’s our wild, sassy, and fun little pup and we love her so much!