2 large onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 large eggplant, peeled and chopped into 1/2 pieces
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained
2 14-ounce cans peeled tomatoes, drained
1 15-ounce can of chili beans
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Saute the onions and garlic with the oil, curry powder, and cumin in large pot until the onions are soft or translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the eggplant, and saute for 5 minutes longer, until lightly browned and softened. Sometimes the eggplant will absorb a lot of oil, so you might need to add more to prevent sticking or burning.
3. Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, and chili beans.
4. Simmer for 30 minutes. The mixture should be watery and then reduce to a thick stew.
5. Stir in the chopped cilantro, reserving a handful. Serve and top with reserved cilantro.