After Niva’s brownie mix eating antics, I went into cleaning mode. The couch cushions were deep cleaned with this amazing machine, the floors were scrubbed, bedding was washed, windows wiped, and laundry done.
During my cleaning spree, Niva jumped off our bed and pretty much ran Sadie over at full speed. I heard a loud thud and then a cry. Poor Sadie was bleeding from her nose and mouth and pretty upset at being knocked down.
She took a nap soon after and woke up looking swollen, black and blue, and downright puffy. I called our pediatrician’s office, and the nurse said the doctor might want to have x-rays taken of Sadie’s nose but would call me back with a sure answer after she talked with the doctor.
I was supposed to head out for a work meeting, but wasn’t sure if we were going to need to take Sadie to the doctor’s office or somewhere for x-rays, so I stayed home. After about an hour, the nurse called and told me to keep an eye on her to see if the swelling increased or if she was having trouble breathing through her nose. If anything gets worse, they will want to have x-rays performed, but for now we’re just going to monitor her.
Whew. It was just one of those days with one thing after another. After the cleanup and nose incident, Jimmy realized I washed his AirPods that were in his shorts pockets. Then Malcolm puked on the table while we were eating dinner. Then Niva knocked Sadie over again.
When hard days happen, I do a few things to try and get through them:
- Pray. For patience, a better attitude, contentment, thankfulness etc.
- Talk to someone. For me, this is usually my sister, mom, Jimmy, or someone from our church.
- Get outside. Something about fresh air always helps my attitude.
- Reflect on what I’m thankful for. Shifting my focus from what’s hard to what is good is a game changer.
- Spend time in God’s Word. Often, I can look back on hard days and realize I hadn’t spent enough time in my Bible that day.
- Laugh. Sometimes you just have to laugh at the craziness and remember it’s not forever.
Something that made my day yesterday was a surprise package from my mom! She sent me this shirt and it came at just the right time. Thanks mom! You are the very best 🙂
It’s a new day and Sadie woke up looking less swollen. Niva only ate a box of tissues in the night instead of a box of brownie mix, and I haven’t washed any electronics. I think it’s going to be a good day 🙂
What helps you on hard days?