A day in the life

I try to post about a typical day in my life each semester, and I figured I should probably do one soon because I started week 13 out of 15 of the fall semester at Penn State today (!!). So, here’s a typical Tuesday in my life.

5:00 a.m. – I wake up and eat breakfast right away. I usually have a bowl of oatmeal or cereal, a few spoonfuls of peanut butter, a glass of soymilk, and a cup of coffee.


5:30 a.m. – I drive 15 minutes to the gym and either swim, run, or lift weights for about an hour. If I have to run any errands, I usually stop on my way home from the gym.

7:30 a.m. – After the gym/errands, I arrive home and have another cup of coffee and a snack (like an apple or smoothie) if I’m hungry. Then I hop in the shower, get dressed for the day, and read my Bible. If my dad has any special instructions for me on a work project I’m currently doing (I work for my parent’s real estate brokerage), I catch up with him during this time before he leaves for meetings/appointments for the day.

8:00 a.m. – My brother arrives at my family’s house with his dog, Moses. My brother also works for my parent’s real estate brokerage, so he works at our home office. Our house can get kind of crazy at this time, with two puppies (yep, Moses is a puppy), a dog, and two cats all wandering around and playing together.

Billy and Moses

I work on whatever my dad has assigned to me until lunch time. Lately, I have been contacting local restaurants to see if they want to open another location in one of my parent’s empty buildings. It’s fun to scope out potential renters!

12:00 p.m. – Lunch time! I usually heat up leftovers from dinner the night before.

12:30 p.m. – I start working on homework  and answer emails. As the editor of the school paper, I do a lot of communicating about things like when the deadline for the next issue is, meeting times, and article ideas from the staff.


2:30 p.m. – I stop doing homework (and think about how I hardly got anything done) have a snack–usually a granola bar–and take Lola for a walk. Taking Lola on her daily walk is one of the best parts of my day. I love the quiet time, and I often read books on my phone while I walk her. It’s definitely not safe, but I love multitasking!

3:15 p.m. – I arrive home with Lola and start packing my dinner for school. Tuesday = night class. If my mom prepares dinner early, I’ll pack whatever she makes. She usually doesn’t, so I just make a sandwich or scrounge around in the cupboards for anything that’s easy to pack in a lunch box and can be quickly consumed. I also finish up any last minute homework that needs to be turned in ASAP.


4:00 p.m. – I drive about 30 minutes to school, and head into the weekly newspaper staff meeting at 4:30. We discuss article ideas, talk about editing, and coordinate who will cover what on campus. We typically finish up around 5:00 or 5:30 p.m., and I eat my dinner quickly before my next class.

6:00 p.m. – Time for night class! The class is titled Women and Minorities in the Media, and it’s really interesting. I just have a hard time staying awake by 9:00 p.m. (yeah, I get sleepy around 9:00 p.m., okay?!), so I draw during class.


9:10 p.m. – The professor usually ends class a little late, and I practically run to my truck (because it’s dark and scary, I want a snack, and I’m tired). I drive 30 minutes home, have a bowl of cereal, and catch up with my family.

9:45 p.m. – I get into bed and fall asleep almost immediately.

There you have it–a typical Tuesday for me! 


  1. Love it — I hate night classes!!! They’re tough!!! And I like to practice my Spanish on my Duolingo app while I walk Pippa. Not always the brightest idea either!

  2. I don’t blame you for being tired at 9, haha. Tuesdays used to be my “long days” at school, and I’d always rush to get home so I can eat dinner and go to sleep at 10pm!

  3. I love this post and how you do these :). I liked writing mine too even though I’d rather read about others’ lives. I feel like mine is kinda boring and it doesn’t change each semester either unfortunately! But there are changes- it obviously changed a LOT when I left the corporate office, hehe. And when I coached track/xc.

    Your owl picture from night class is pretty cool. I love owls! I took a few night classes myself and I didn’t get super tired that early, mostly just ready for class to end, but with the time you get up I can see how you’re wiped out by 9 PM. I also hated walking to my car from the class, that was the worst part to me.

  4. I hated the walk to my car after my night class! I would park illegally because I didn’t want to walk halfway across campus just to get to my car. I think it’s ridiculous to have designated parking lots for night classes >:[

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s