Our first family camping trip was a success! We rented a camper on Sunday and camped at Ohiopyle State Park until Wednesday. It felt like just the right amount of time to be away from home with a toddler.
We were so blessed by our families for this trip:
- My sister lent me her hiking carrier
- My brother lent us their daughter’s bike trailer
- Jimmy’s Dad lent us his truck to tow the camper
- My parents watched Niva
Our first night was rough. We arrived in the pouring rain and it was getting dark as Jimmy tried to back the camper into our spot. I had to jump out in the rain to try and direct him and stepped right into a huge pit of mud. Once we set up, it was time for bed and Sadie did. not. want. to. sleep.
She especially didn’t want to sleep by herself on one of the beds. So into bed she went with us. And she still didn’t want to sleep. She literally crawled around the bed for what felt like hours. Jimmy and I just laid there in an exhausted heap until she fell asleep sometime between 11 PM and 2 AM. At 3 AM, we woke up to a thud… Sadie fell off the bed. Poor girl got quite a bruise from that fall!
We were more than ready for coffee the next morning, lol. The rest of the trip went so, so well after that first wild night, though.
Here’s what we were up to:
- We went hiking a few times
- We biked on a bike trail and around the campgrounds
- We visited downtown Ohiopyle and the waterfalls there
- We went on many meandering walks with Sadie around the campgrounds while she looked for chipmunks
- My in-laws paid us a visit and had dinner with us
- We visited Cucumber Falls with my in-laws
How about some pictures?
What a memorable trip! There were some hard moments (chasing after a toddler 24/7 and not getting much sleep), but way more amazing moments (watching the wonder on Sadie’s face as she discovered new things, spending time as a family, being in nature for a few days). I’m already looking forward to our next family trip!