In a perfect world, I’d always keep my focus on God and stay connected and in tune with Him. Let’s be honest, though, life just isn’t perfect! I feel like it’s so easy to become disconnected from God in my everyday life if I don’t make a concentrated effort to center my day around Him.
I have days where I get busy and before I know it, it’s time for bed and I haven’t read my Bible or spent much time talking to God. I can tell you that those days are always tough and filled with anxiety. Yes, I have days where I center my thoughts and mind on the Lord and still have a rough day, but keeping the Lord at the forefront of my life makes all the difference.
I’ve worked on establishing a few daily habits that center my day on God that I want to share. I’m always looking for more, so let me know what you do!
1. Bible and journal first thing in the morning. Before I start my day, I love sitting on the couch or at the kitchen table with my Bible, journal, and a mug of coffee. This is my time to talk with God, read His word, thank Him, and focus for the day.
Starting out the day with my Bible and a pen in my hands instead of my phone has made such a difference in my life! I always finish my mug of coffee and scripture reading time with more clarity and peace than if I hadn’t picked up my Bible.
2. Pray throughout the day. I make an effort to be in prayer throughout the day. If someone comes to mind, I pray for them. If a situation is bothering me, I try and pray about it and then leave it to God. If the news is on, or I have a conversation in the grocery store with someone, those people or situations are in my prayers.
We also have a prayer list from our church pinned up in our kitchen so we can pray for the various needs of the members of our church and their friends and families. Along with that, each night at dinner either Jimmy or I pray before our meal and thank God for getting us through the day and lay our requests before Him together. It sets the tone for our evening together and is really special to us.
3. Listen to Christian music and podcasts. If I have my phone with me while I’m dog walking, cleaning the house, etc., I usually listen to a podcast sermon. If I’m driving, I turn the radio onto the local Christian music station and jam out.
4. Keep my Bible in front of me. My Bible is pretty much always sitting on our kitchen table. Since I work from home and pet sit, I’m generally able to eat lunch at home. I always try to pop my Bible open and study it while I eat. It definitely beats scrolling on social media and leaves me feeling refreshed and replenished at lunchtime.
5. Read Christian books. This one can be tricky because the book I want to be reading and spending the most time in is my Bible! With that said, supplemental devotional books or even Christian fiction are great options for leisure reading.
6. Use my phone wisely. If I’m on my phone, I try to spend more time in apps like YouVersion and Bible Lens instead of checking my email or opening social media. If I am on social media, sometimes I’ll post scripture on Instagram or Facebook.
Another way I try to use my phone more wisely is to connect with others! There’s just something about texting a church friend or family member and giving or receiving encouragement that just makes all the difference in my day.
Excellent Allie so proud of you! You have become such a Godly young lady! I do a lot of the same except I don’t journal. Going through the day and having the Lord in the front of my mind helps me with all the crazy situations I come across. I always want to do the right thing and seeking the Lord in every day trails always gets me through! Driving I listed to sermons or Christian music most of the time. Also calling others and praying with them on the phone helps. When you think you have struggles just talk to others and it makes your problems seem insignificant!
I love you dad! Thank you! It was fun hearing all the things you do to keep God at the center of your day! You have been such an amazing Godly role model for me as I’ve grown up!
These habits are going to serve you so well in the coming years with a baby and toddler! So many of these things are things you can do throughout the day in snippets of time. Studying my Bible first thing in the morning has changed a little over the past year. Some months it was easy to continue doing it before she was awake and now I’m in a time of doing it during her first nap of the day. But either way, having habits firmly in place before her arrival was so helpful to me. I know it will be for you as well!
So, so true! I feel like I live my life in snippets of time now, but it’s perfect for spending time with God all throughout the day! Thank you, Rach!
Healthy habits are my favorite. One I’m trying to get into is being on my phone less. I feel like I’m on it whenever I have a minute or two to spare which turns into endless scrolling and getting lost in social media.
Same here!! I am always trying to decrease my screen time (as I sit here, staring at a screen, haha!) because it makes me so much more present and happier!