I love a good sloppy joe. My favorite kind is the type that is tangy and saucy, and well, sloppy! A few years ago, I learned how to make my own sloppy joe sauce and haven’t looked back since.
Being able to make homemade sloppy joe sauce saves me a trip to the grocery store when I have a pound of ground beef and no idea what to make for dinner. I’ve tweaked my recipe over the years, and now I’m ready to share it!
1 pound ground beef or turkey
salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
4 hamburger buns
1. Combine the ketchup, apple cider vinegar worcestershire sauce, honey, and mustard in a bowl and whisk until a smooth sauce forms. Set aside.
2. Brown the meat in a nonstick skillet over medium heat for 5-7 minutes, or until cooked through.
3. Drain the meat in a strainer and add back to skillet.
4. Stir in sauce and simmer for about five minutes, or until thickened.
5. Place a large spoonful of the sloppy joe mixture on a bun and enjoy.